Turkish doner kebab is one of top specialities of Turkish cuisine. It is usually made of lamb meat. It is cooked on a vertical rotisserie and is stacked in a cone shape over it. You must have eaten shawarmas or Gyros at least once in your life. All of these dishes originated from the Turkish doner.
As Turkish doner originally originated from Turkey, that is why it is of very significant importance in the Turkish cuisine and Turkish culture as well. Different regions kg Turkey have different recipes for this scrumptious Turkish doner. Each and everyone of them is full of flavours.
You make think that is Turkish speciality cannot be cooked at home But that is not the case. You can make a Turkish Pizza Donner at your home easily especially if you have a vertical rotating spit. Even if you don’t have that, you can cook it on a loaf pan in an oven. It does not taste exactly like the Turkish doner that is served at a restaurant but it is close enough. Also, the sauce and the spices that you can add in a homemade doner can make a it a lot more flavoursome and juicy. In order to get more appetizing results, you can marinated the meat for two to three hours.
If you are starving and want to have the most delicious kebab in the world then this is the best choice. It only takes an hour to prepare and cook this amazing Turkish dish.
For the kebab mixture
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 egg
- 5 finely minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
For the Sandwich
- 4 pita breads
- 1 cup of assorted lettuce
- 1 sliced tomato
- ½ sliced cucumber
- ¼ sliced red onion
- Tahini sauce
- In the first step, you are suppose to pre-heat the oven at 350 F.
- In the next step, take a large bowl. Gather all the ingredients including ground lamb, garlic, egg, ground cumin, smoked paprika, ground coriander, dried oregano, black pepper and salt in it.
- Now combine all the ingredients properly. Knead the mixture as much as you can to evenly distribute the spices.
- Take a loaf pan and place all the mixture in it. Put it in the oven and cook it for approximately 25-30 minutes. When the top of the mixture is turned into a light golden brown shade, take it out.
- Now take a pita bread and heat it properly on a pan.
- Slice the doner kebab that you have cooked in the oven. Slices of the doner kebab must be very thin.
- Put these slices on the pita bread. Also add the assorted lettuce, cucumber and tomato in it.
- Now fold the pita bread in the form of a semi circle, wrap half of its side in an aluminium foil and serve.